Monday, June 2, 2008

My Smoking Friend


Anynonmous Asks...
Hey, I just want to know what do I do when a really close friend is smoking? He told me that he wasn't like that. Should I still be his friend?


Answer: It seems to me that your friend lied to you. If this is the case your relationship started off as a lie. You should first forgive him and pray for him. Choosing our friends is something that we need to do wisely and pray about.

About whether you should remain friends with him. Please remember our reputation comes from what we do and who we hang with. Our friends can also influence us.

Smoking is a serious issue that can eventually cost your friend his life. I do think you should talk to your friend and share with him some of these statistics.

*Smoking doesn’t kill you right away. Its effects could take some time to kill you and you don’t always die. You may have to suffer a slow death.
*Cancer is only one of the many illness that smoking causes.
*About 419,000 people die each year from cigarette and cigar smoking and that is only in the United States .
*Smoking causes 20 percent of all deaths in the United States each year.
*Cigarette smoking is the major cause of lung disease, including emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
*It is proven to cause cancer, heart disease and hormonal problems.
*Smoking is also linked to pulmonary diseases, cardiovascular disease.

Also, here are some Scriptures that you could read to help give you some direction and encouragement.
1Corinthians 6:12, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Ephesians 5:17, Exodus 20:13, Proverbs 3 5 and 6



Before closing I would like to say thank you for asking this question. Your question caused me to do research on the affects of smoking and what the bible says on it. Most of all I feel I must be accountable for my own actions.

I am ashamed to say that I am a smoker. It’s something that I’ve been struggling with for a very long time. This addiction has a strong hold on my life. I hate the fact that I can’t leave the house unless I have a lighter and that my family has to budget in this expense for my addiction.

This question has just confirmed to me that its time to stop. Upon my research I came across several articles about the dangers of smoking and how it hinders my spiritual development. I know the Holy Spirit dwells within me and my body does not belong to me, it belongs to God.

I realize that smoking as a Christian damages my testimony. I know that every time I smoke I’m tearing apart God's temple, decreasing the time I have to serve God, and wasting the money God has blessed me with.

I am taking the necessary steps to stop. I know I can because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Thanks again..

Daughter of Destiny

Have a question or topic idea?
Read Scriptures by Subject
Read our counselors' testimonies