Monday, May 12, 2008

Scriptures on Depression




Deuteronomy 31:8 (Amplified Bible) 8It is the Lord Who goes before you; He will [march] with you; He will not fail you or let you go or forsake you; [let there be no cowardice or flinching, but] fear not, neither become broken [in spirit--depressed, dismayed, and unnerved with alarm].


Psalm 3:3 (Amplified Bible) 3But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.


Psalm 34:15-17 (Amplified Bible) 15The eyes of the Lord are toward the [uncompromisingly] righteous and His ears are open to their cry. 16The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.
17When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their distress and troubles.


Psalm 40:1-3 (Amplified Bible) To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. 1I WAITED patiently and expectantly for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry.
2He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings.
3And He has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many shall see and fear (revere and worship) and put their trust and confident reliance in the Lord.


Psalm 42:5-6, 8, 11 (Amplified Bible) 5Why are you cast down, O my inner self? And why should you moan over me and be disquieted within me? Hope in God and wait expectantly for Him, for I shall yet praise Him, my Help and my God.
6O my God, my life is cast down upon me [and I find the burden more than I can bear]; therefore will I [earnestly] remember You from the land of the Jordan [River] and the [summits of Mount] Hermon, from the little mountain Mizar.


8Yet the Lord will command His loving-kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me, a prayer to the God of my life.


11Why are you cast down, O my inner self? And why should you moan over me and be disquieted within me? Hope in God and wait expectantly for Him, for I shall yet praise Him, Who is the help of my countenance, and my God.


Psalm 77:1-2 (Amplified Bible) 1I WILL cry to God with my voice, even to God with my voice, and He will give ear and hearken to me.
2In the day of my trouble I seek (inquire of and desperately require) the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out [in prayer] without slacking up; I refuse to be comforted.


Psalm 91:14-16 (Amplified Bible) 14Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness--trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never].
15He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
16With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation.

Isaiah 54:4 (Amplified Bible) 4Fear not, for you shall not be ashamed; neither be confounded and depressed, for you shall not be put to shame. For you shall forget the shame of your youth, and you shall not [seriously] remember the reproach of your widowhood any more.

Isaiah 60:1 (Amplified Bible) 1ARISE [from the depression and prostration in which circumstances have kept you--rise to a new life]! Shine (be radiant with the glory of the Lord), for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you!


2 Corinthians 7:6 (Amplified Bible) 6But God, Who comforts and encourages and refreshes and cheers the depressed and the sinking, comforted and encouraged and refreshed and cheered us by the arrival of Titus.


1 Peter 5:6-7 (Amplified Bible) 6Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you,
7Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.