Monday, February 16, 2009

I Like A Guy Who Is Already In A Relationship


Anonymous said...

I recently have come to the realization that I like a guy who already is in a relationship. I hate being in this situation and would never dream of trying to get in between him and his girlfriend, however I am really struggling because the more I am around him, the more I like him. He is just one of the sweetest boys I have ever met. Its hard because we go to the same college, while his girlfriend (of 2 1/2 years) goes to another college and he commutes most weekends to see her.

I want to handle this in a godly way and have even tried praying that their relationship be blessed, but the more time goes by, the more I fall for him. How can I glorify God in this situation?

Trophy of Grace replies...

My dear sister the answer to your dilemma is found in your question. The more that you are around him, the more that you like him. You are seeing how committed he is to his girlfriend. It is commendable what he is doing driving every weekend to see her. That is very sweet and attractive. He sounds like a good guy.

My advice to you is to get away from him…

“Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” 2 Timothy 2:22

“Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptations. The spirit is indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:21

"You shall not covet (To wish for longingly) your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." Exodus 20:17

Being around him is causing you to meditate on what it would be like to be with him. The only option as this point I believe is to stay away from him and respect the relationship he has with his girlfriend. If you do not get away from this relationship you will most certainly fall into sin. You are already seeing the warning signs.

Draw closer to the Lord and He will draw closer to you. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure. It is your choice to take the way out. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

You can glorify God by doing what His Word says and run from anything that would cause you temptation and to fall into sin.

I will be praying for you.

Sincerely,

Trophy of Grace