Monday, August 4, 2008

Roots


Written by: Blessed and Highly Favored

As I was walking in my business the other morning, I looked down and noticed a little ant trail along the front window. Darn IT! I spray and spray and still they come back! OK, with all the rain, they just want to be in a safe place near some food; BUT NOT IN MY SHOP!

I walked in, set down my bag, turned on the lights, and grabbed the bug spray. I sprayed from one end of the store to the other, along the windows and to my neighbors’ store. As I was doing this, I made a mental note to get some weed killer. There are not a lot of them, just a few in the hairline cracks in the cement, but enough to make it look, well, not like I want it.

Then the Lord spoke to me, “See that little weed that is pushing its way out of that little tiny crack? It looks like it would be impossible for anything to grow there, but there is enough of an environment to allow the tiniest of a weed seed to thrive. Sin is like that. The seed of sin lies dormant until the right conditions allow it to grow. You passed by it everyday, not giving it a second thought, but I knew it was there growing, pushing its’ way out, not satisfied with being in darkness any longer. Sin in one area of your life will ALWAYS push its way into other areas. What is hidden will ALWAYS come to the surface. Your sin will find you out – Numbers 32:23.”

What’s the big deal about a little weed an inch in length??? It won’t stay that way!!!!! It’ll continue to grow until something stops it. Allowed to flower and bloom, it’ll give way to more seed affecting the environment around it.

It’s the cracks in our character that allows the sin weed to grow. We may fool the world, but inside the roots of unforgiveness, hatred, confusion, perversity, pride, etc., strangle our hearts and stunt our growth. So much so, we start to pull away from G-d because of our sin. And don’t think for a moment that once you’ve removed the evidence of the “sin weed” that it’s gone! NO! The root has to be dealt with, and pulled out of you. That’s where the Holy Spirit opens your heart (imagine open-heart surgery), and gets to work removing it inch by inch. But only if you allow Him to do that in that dark place.

We always have to guard our hearts not to allow the same stupid “sin seed” a chance to grow again. We are so much worse off when we deceive ourselves into such nonsense. Jesus said in Matthew 12: 43-45, “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man (or woman), he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, “I will return to my house from which I came.” And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man (or woman) is worse than the first. So shall it be with this wicked generation.”

Sin seed is always being thrown at us. Shake it off and give it no place in your life for it to grow. Allow the Lord Jesus Christ to fill you, and show you the kind of person He wants you to be. Walk free, live free, and be free.