Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Our Appearance


Written by: Blessed and Highly Favored

Am I really trying to be all that?

The other day I was channel surfing with the remote, so bored with what was supposed to entertain me. I decided to peep at MTV real quick. I used to watch it a lot, especially when it first was broadcasting (yes, I am that old). Anyway, about 15 seconds into a video I was so shocked at what I saw. This is NOT the MTV I remember! My goodness, these women, I mean girls were dancing around looking like monkeys, ready to shake their booty and their racks for any dude in baggy pants who happened to cruise by. I had to check the cable, ‘cause maybe I made a mistake and got the Playboy pay-for-view channel, or something. Nope, this is MTV now. So I decided to flip it VH1, and don’t you know I saw the same video playing AGAIN! What are the chances? Flip to BET and there’s the same “artist” supposedly doing a different song, but it looked all the same. I just turned off the TV. I couldn’t watch it anymore.
What kind of culture we have become?If I was from another planet, and had no frame of reference as to the people from earth, except from what I saw on TV, what would my opinion be? First, that females on earth, hardly wear any clothes, are so skinny a cannibal would pass them up, have messed up hair, dance like having sex, booty shake and gyrate on and about usually one or two of the ugliest dudes who need a trip to the store to find some Granimals and a belt. I saw women as entertainment; no different from dancing monkeys. I didn’t see their minds, their hearts, their souls, their education; all I saw was a sacrifice of flesh being laid on the altar of advertising.
See here’s the deal. The people who make the decisions about the videos think you are all pigs. And pigs will eat anything you put in front of them. These producer’s kids go to exclusive private schools in other countries, far from the pig trough they want you to fill up on. They have bodyguards and security details to keep you far from them because you might contaminate them with their own stuff. And it doesn’t stop there. They bring on designers, and fashionistas to shape perceptions directly related to the videos. “Be like Mike” wear his shoes. “Be cool like P Diddy” wear Sean John. “Smell like J-Lo.” Oh for real???? Why is it so important to be like someone else?
Now girls, my head is not in the sand, and I’m not talking about putting burlap sacks on y’all and having you wear boots. God has created in us all the beauty we need; but it comes from inside, not from a bottle or a store. His Holy Spirit who dwells in us is a light, a spiritually dynamic force and is very attractive. As we submit to Jesus Christ, His Spirit develops in us character, and fruit. He wants us to seek His approval, not the approval of MTV, VH1 or BET! We are not pigs, or animals for that fact.
Jesus has a much higher calling for us that does not require us to give ourselves away for the sake of being eye candy. Respect yourself! Be Holy! (Leviticus 11:44, 1 Peter 1:15, 16) It’s okay to wear make-up, and to dress NICELY. Just be modest and remember you are a daughter of the Most High G-d, heavenly royalty, being cultivated into the kind of woman G-d wants you to be from the inside out. Let Him do His work, you be obedient, and TURN OFF THE TV!



Have a question or topic idea?
Read Scriptures by Subject
Read our counselors' testimonies