Friday, May 23, 2008

Don't Be Afraid To Be Different



Q: "I’m a Christian girl and everyone picks on me at school because I won't go to the parties and hang out and drink with them. They are always picking on me. I am getting so tired of being so different. Sometimes I just want to give up."

A: You are different! You are a child of God! That sets you apart from the rest of the world. As Christians we are not part of this world and that is why the world hates us and makes fun of us. (John 15:19)Do not be ashamed that you are different. Even as an adult, I too am ridiculed for being different. I do not go to the party or hang out with the friends that will jeopardize my faith anymore. I’ve learned to care more what God thinks about me than what other people think. I refuse to jeopardize my faith to "fit in". (Galatians 2:20) We are called to walk a lifestyle that is different from what the world knows. We must never be ashamed to be different because we belong to Jesus. If we are ashamed of him he will be ashamed of us before our Father. (Luke 9:26) Don’t get tired of doing the right thing. After a while you’re going too blessed, if you don’t get discouraged and give up. Remember that God has a plan for your life. (Galatians 6:9)

Look at the apostle Paul. Paul was also "picked" on for his faith and for his walk with the Lord. He was thrown in prison, stoned, and ridiculed publicly for being a Christian. Can you imagine what he went through? He accepted that he was different and he then embraced it. He focused on what God wanted him to do and he ended up writing a good portion of the New Testament. (1 Peter 4:16)Stay focused and don’t give up. The power that is in you is more powerful than this world. God has a plan for you. Trust his divine design. You are not alone. I will be praying for you.


Read: John 7:7 , John 17:15-16, John 17:9, Mark 8:38